A gay indie boy living in suburban South West London recounts his trials and tribulations dealing with sex, sexuality, growing up and getting older

Friday, January 11, 2008

Meeting your match

And not in the way you'd expect.

So after a couple of drinks, it seems that this guy was very talkative and tried to convince me how cynical he was.

"I don't think you're cynical at all," he said

"Erm... A lot of people would disagree with you there"

"Really?" he said

And then he went on to tell me how he didn't believe that love existed past the second year of a relationship and that couples who had been together for 10 or 20 years was little more than convenience or compromise. And while I agreed that a relationship's function changes after a long period of time, I had to also agree that I wasn't *that* cynical; function doesn't negate love. Love and care are things that always exist regardless of the frequency of sex or the intensity of passion.

And so bent on this point he was that I started to wonder why he was telling me all these things.

I later asked how bothered he was about seeing me again.

"I am not bothered. I mean, I would like very much to see you again; I like you a lot. But in London these things so easily fall apart. People lose touch or get lost or hide behind lies and their own little world here that dating becomes an impossibility"

And I think that about sums up everyone's dating life in this city.

After a long hug goodbye, I am left wondering if I will ever see him again, or if he is just another intervention; another lesson for me to learn. It's funny how the most beautiful flower can also be the most poisonous

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am disappointed...I'd have thought you too cynical to think that every semi-pissed conversation with a random stranger (even when cute) is some sort of Biblical intervention which brings a 'lesson to learn'... sometimes it's just that drunk people like to talk.

That said he (the random) is quite right with his 'not bothered' approach. If you can't pull in London on a daily (if not hourly) basis you should be ashamed to call yourself a gay.

Finally, if you think dating in London is difficult - move the middle of bloody nowhere and then you will see how green the city's grass really is!

:)

Sxx

4:44 AM

 
Blogger Allan Taylor said...

"I'd have thought you too cynical to think that every semi-pissed conversation with a random stranger (even when cute) is some sort of Biblical intervention which brings a 'lesson to learn'"

I forgot to mention this is the Italian guy from the previous blog... Dating generally is a learning curve, if nothing else. If I didn't believe this, I would have called it quits and joined a monastery a long time ago

4:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home